Marriage Licenses

Marriage Licenses

Couples who wish to get married in the State of New Hampshire must file for a marriage license.

Where to file:

Local residents can apply in the office of any town or city clerk in the state of New Hampshire

Out of state residents can also apply in the office of any town or city clerk in the state of New Hampshire


How to file:

  • Both parties appear before the Town Clerk 
  • Complete the application for a marriage license
  • Provide certified copies of divorce and/or death certificates for any previous marriages or civil unions, as well as identification to confirm the date of birth (passport, certified birth certificate) and photo identification.


There is a $50.00 license fee (cash or checks only)


Waiting period:

There is no waiting period in New Hampshire, the license becomes valid for use upon issuance.


When and where the license can be used:

The license is good for 90 days from the date of application

The license is good anywhere in New Hampshire


Obtaining your marriage Certificate after the Ceremony:

After the marriage Ceremony is performed, the officiant will return the certificate to the city/town clerk of issuance (Normally within 6 working days)

Once the certificate is received from your officiant, you can then request a Marriage Certificate from the clerk's office

You will be expected to appear in person to request the certificate.

A fee of $15.00 will be charged for issuance of the certified copy

Obtain further information by calling the Town Clerk at 603-826-5821