Timber Cut to begin on Acworth Stage Rd on the Reservoir Lot January of 2018 thru Spring of 2020
Charlestown Conservation Commission Mission Statement
The Charlestown Conservation Commission’s mission is the preservation and protection of Charlestown’s natural resources, through planning, promoting and education to assist other town boards in conservation matters.
Charlestown Conservation Commission purpose statement
- Support and advise the Board of Selectmen, the Town Planning Board and Zoning Board regarding conservation issues.
- Protect Charlestown’s natural resources. Protect wetlands, forested land, farm lands, open space, and wildlife habitats.
- Review all Dredge and Fill Permits.
- Manage the Town Forests: Reservoir Lot Forest, Halls Pond Forest, Sam’s Hill Forest.
- Oversee LCIP conservation easements
- Maintain town trails
- Coordinate GreenUp Day – first Saturday of May.
- Coordinate Adopt-a-Highway clean up days: Route 12 from Walpole town line to junction of Lover’s Lane Road.
The Charlestown Conservation Commission (CCC) maintains six (6) trails, listed below.
- The Great Meadows Trail
- The Nature Trail
- The Reservoir Lot Trails
- The Connecticut River State Forest Trail
- The Hubbard Hill State Forest Trail
- The Halls Pond Trail
Working with the Upper Valley Trails Alliance, the CCC has added these trails to an online database of trails throughout NH & VT. To see detailed information on Charlestown's trails (as well as other towns) follow the link below. Once you click on the link, it will bring you to the Upper Valley Trails Alliance's homepage. From there, click the link on the left that says "Trailfinder" and you will be directed to the Trailfinder website. It lists the names of trails as well as GPS information, pictures, descriptions, lengths, difficulty and driving directions to each trail. You may also leave comments on each trail, as well as contact the trail’s manager to report any problems (downed trees, etc.).
The Conservation Commission meets every 3rd Monday
of every month at 7:00 PM in the Community Room.